Thursday, September 20, 2012

Riding a bike




Yesterday I was lured into a trap...

I work with two very strong bike riders...
Well actually that is an understatement I work with one very strong bike rider and another RIDICULOUSLY STRONG bike rider...

As much as I've ridden I have come to realize that it makes me very nervous to ride without Jeff...
If I'm feeling crappy I know Jeff won't mind...
Jeff loves me and regardless of how I ride that day he will support me...
And if I don't want to climb a nasty hill I can whine and we can change our route...
Jeff will change my tire if it goes flat...
Jeff can give me the much needed pep talk as my lungs are burning and my legs are begging for mercy...

When I ride without Jeff I feel very vulnerable...

However, the sun is going down earlier which means its almost dark when he gets home leaving us no time to ride...

So I have a choice
1.  Start running...
2.  Ride alone...
3. Ride with others who are much stronger than me...

This week I choose options 2 and 3

On Monday I rode alone...
I rode one of the toughest (hilly) loops we do and it was 90+ degrees outside
I made it but I was covered in goose bumps halfway through making me wonder if I was having heat stroke...but thankfully no flat tires (I'm a kept woman I know!) and when I did collapse at home (haven't ridden in 3 wks) I had that lovely feeling of accomplishment...

Wednesday I rode with the boys...
My two colleagues had invited a fourth to join us...
He won a bronze medal in Seoul in the para-Olympics...
He rides with his arms...

Which made me feel like a big fat baby...
They pushed me...
I wanted to quit
I wanted to whine
I really wanted to avoid hills!

and when I got home I collapsed and had that lovely feeling of accomplishment...

Go out there and accomplish something!

Frychik

No comments:

Post a Comment