Wednesday, October 16, 2013

San Diego in Pictures


I thought I would just share some of the pictures I took while in San Diego...
I found it challenging to get a really great picture of "The Kiss" the challenge being that they are like 50 feet tall and what I really wanted was an angle that showed their faces...


However, I do think it is the body language that makes this (picture) sculpture so powerful...
I love the couple in the right corner of the picture trying to copy the statue...
They didn't get it, I had to fight the urge to position them just so...


While I have no desire to sail the world aboard a ship I have always loved large sailing ships...
I think they are beautiful!


And I've always wanted to climb the later all the way up to the tippy top...that would be fun!


I always enjoy checking out the architecture in different cities.... 






While I'm generally not a fan of palm trees...
I couldn't help myself and took a few shots of them...


Our hotel was ginormous...
It had two towers and a lovely pool...
Very nice place to stay in...
Especially when it is FREE! :)


The USS Midway is parked in the harbor and is now a museum...
This ship was active in the Persian Gulf War....


It is an aircraft carrier which means its a floating airport...
It's HUGE...
they said 4100 sailors were on it at one time...
A floating city!


Not a perspective you often see... :)


This window with the writing on it is in the control tower...
On it are the names and aircraft as well as destination for each mission...
As soon as one returned it was erased and the new name was written on it...
What I found really interesting about that was the soldier who wrote the information had to write it backwards and quickly since he stood on the opposite side of the glass from the Captain...
It hurts my head to think about it...


I have a soft spot for veterans and I fell in love with this guy...
He gave us a very informative tour of the control tower...




 Apparently the feeling was mutual because he made me captain and I got to sit in the chair!




I've always like the idea of flying in a fighter jet...
I love to go fast...
But I know I would toss my cookies...
It wouldn't be pretty...


The map above is from the Persian Gulf War...
It shows placement of troops and other highly important details...
Very top secret stuff...







This is my attempt to take a picture with my phone while riding a bike...
My goal was to get both of us in the picture and our bikes while not crashing...
Two out of thee aint bad...


I was fascinated by these obscenely expensive yachts...
I can't fathom how much money you would have to have to own, run, maintain one of these...
This one comes with a garage which has not one but two boats parked inside...
Boggles the mind...


Frychik


No comments:

Post a Comment