Friday, October 14, 2011

2 Trips to the Airport and still here...

Last night my Mom and her hubby landed safely at PDX.  They had spent 3 weeks traveling.  Flying all the way to Germany, driving to Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg and then flying all the way home.  Safe and sound...sign. I drove over to pick them up and drive them to their home in PDX.

This morning at 3:45 AM I drove to the airport again...
If I have to get up so early I wish I was going somewhere...

It was Josh's turn.  He's headed out on his first mission trip.  He will be spending the weekend in Nashville where he will get to visit his Aunt and Uncle and show the group their cool ranch with all the exotic animals.
Then they head north to Kentucky where they work on various building projects for people who need their help in Manchester.

I had the opportunity to do this trip several years ago.  I went just a month after 9/11 and I was terrified to fly then.  The world seemed suddenly very scary.  My boys were small and I was leaving them.  What kind of world were my kids going to grow up in?  At that time many of us were still holding our breath waiting for the next attack.

I'm so relieved that life didn't take the dramatic changes I feared 10 years ago.  While it was weird to fly to Tenn. and see armed soldiers in the airports, I was safely delivered back to my boys in a weeks time.  It had been an amazing experience and I have wanted my boys to have the opportunity to experience helping people.

I'm excited for Josh and I know he will be a great help.  I can't wait to hear about his experience.  But I'm a nervous wreck when my kids fly without me...

When I went on this trip 10 years ago I went with our current Youth Pastor PJ Deming.  I talked to him about my fears of leaving my family.  His response was that he always says goodbye to his family by saying "see ya later or in heaven"  - typical male response...

But I am glad we have that assurance.

Frychik

No comments:

Post a Comment