Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Teenage girls...

I have developed a study habit...
Since I am now teaching 5 days a week I no longer have the luxury of Mon/Wed study days.  Which means I literally have to find slots of time to study before I rush into my next task.



So my new habit has been to drop my kids off at school at 8 on Mon/Wed and then head to SB to study.
Which may seem odd to some people because SB is loud and busy and frankly I leave smelling like burnt coffee which I really don't like...

However, I am able to concentrate better there than at home where the computer, TV, laundry ( you know what I mean!) is distracting me.



I tried another adorable coffee shop in town but it smells like ham which grosses me out more than burnt coffee...downtown Vancouver has a gorgeous new library and I love studying there but I don't have time to drive there since I have to be back at CAA by 9:30....so SB it is...

Last week I saw a friend of mine when I arrived at SB and talked with him for a couple of minutes before settling in to study.  I sat at my favorite table which is one of those long family style tables.  I like it because there is lots of room to spread all my stuff out but it does mean other people will most likely join me at my table...

On this morning two teenage girls sat down.  One studious girl and one not so studious girl...not sure why they were hanging out...anyway the studious girl I'll call her Mary and the not so studious girl I will call Barbie...Mary pulls out her notebooks etc and complains immediately at how noisy it is and that she really needs to be at the library, to which Barbie ignores her and tells Mary that Mark was texting and flirting with her last night...to which Mary offers a distracted giggle but is clearly trying to concentrate.  Barbie continues making comments about various boy girl relationships - such as - "Kelly only kept Ron for as long as she did because she kept telling him she thought she was pregnant" All the while Mary has her head down and is really trying to get something done.  Then Barbie asks Mary if she knows how to do such and such with her phone to which Mary says with great exasperation "I would love to help you but I'm really trying to get this done!"  Barbie just wasn't getting the hint...

Meanwhile, Shelly is obviously way too distracted by her neighbors but she is trying to focus on Thucydides who was a Greek who wrote about the Peloponnesian war and had a public purpose for studying the past...

My friend who was sitting behind me, had gotten up to leave when he leaned over my shoulder and told me my glasses made me look smart...I laughed and said "that's what I'm going for - the smart look" - he then walked off.



Barbie noticing the exchange said "excuse me, did he just hit on you?"  Hmmm, what to say...my ego wanted to say "oh yea, it happens all the time I just can't go anywhere..." But what I actually said through my laughter was "no, he's a friend and those days are long behind me" to which she gave me a sad kinda look...
To which I wanted to reply, just because a guy speaks to you doesn't mean he is "hitting on you" but maybe in her "Barbie world" it does...

Ahhh, back to reality

Frychik







2 comments:

  1. That's a great story! Enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Shelly! Teenage girls... oh my. I think I have one of those girls in my unit ;) ugh.

    I think you should have told her yes... just to see her reaction!

    ReplyDelete