Monday, June 20, 2011

Weekend fun and change of plans

Joshua was supposed to have flown out to Nashville yesterday morning...
Unfortunately, his Aunt and Uncle have a grandson at UCLA medical center in need of a liver transplant.
He is 15 months old and the biopsy on Friday showed cancer cells in his liver.  Such a frightening time for the family.  The baby's name is Caden Rose, please pray for him and his family.

Thinking Saturday would be our last family day we decided to head to the beach.  It was gorgeous around here on Friday and it was easy to picture us frolicking on the Oregon Coast.
We woke up Saturday to drizzle...
We seriously contemplated not going...

But I'm so glad we did!
First stop was Camp 18 which is a fabulous restaurant in the middle of nowhere on the way to the beach.  It once was a logging camp and they have the yummiest Cinnamon rolls and fried potatoes!

 They have wood carvings on the porch of the restaurant and its fun to wander around and see what all is out there...


After we gorged ourselves we headed west to the Pacific Ocean...
We had all the bikes and our plan was to head to Ft. Stevens and ride the trails.
The weather was still misty and chilly but I had just resigned myself to it at this point...

As we got to the turn off we saw a sign advertising a sandcastle contest at Cannon Beach and decided to check it out...

This one cracks me up!
Mickey Club Sandwich!


 I loved Timberline lodge with Portland in the background...

We enjoyed ourselves walking along the beach checking out the "castles"


The weather would dry out for awhile and there was virtually no wind which is always an unexpected plus when visiting the Oregon Coast!

 Happy Father's Day!  I'm so thankful my boys have such a great dad and roll model in their lives!


 Me and my Fry guys!


My favorite picture of the day!

From here we headed to Ft. Stevens got the bikes out and rode for 10 miles.  We explored the battery and saw deer and the boys saw a huge bull elk on the trail right in front of them.  The weather was calm and amazing and I kept kicking myself for not lugging my camera along...so you will just have to take my word for it!


Little did we know as we packed up and headed home that we had more deer to see...
Just before our exit off of I-5 a deer jumped out in front of us...
Thankfully Jeff was driving and thankfully he guessed correctly as to which direction the poor deer would continue going...it was very scary and I fear my kids heard me say a bad word... ;) There is nothing like blissfully reading completely unaware of your surroundings only to be jarred to reality with your husband slamming on the brakes and swearving...he did not swear (he's such a goody two shoes!)

I was very thankful we had not changed our plans.  It was a lovely rare day when both teenagers were happy and we truly enjoyed each other as a family.

Josh was really disappointed when the call came in that he shouldn't fly out in the morning...
But I don't like sending him off on a plane without me anyway...

However, I do have a licensed 16 year old if anyone has any hard labor for him this week! ;)

Frychik

No comments:

Post a Comment