Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Popular Sovereignty

I have begun teaching the seniors who are very different creatures than Sophomores...

My first 10 years of teaching I had the luxury of only teaching upper classmen...I was very grateful for this.  Freshman and Sophomores were squirrely immature creatures that I didn't really desire to interact with at least not in a structured classroom setting...

Then I had freshmen for the first time when I went to teach at PAA...

Then I had sophomores...and while I still maintain my opinion of freshmen I have grown to love sophomores...they are trying to mature...and they can be easily manipulated for the most part :)

It has been a couple years since I have had seniors and I have missed their maturity, their wisdom, their "I'm almost all grown up and know everything" attitude.  I love the more relaxed attitude in the classroom and the more mature discussions.  I also love their general excitement about the future.  These kids are only a few short months away from graduation.  Everyone is asking them about what is next?  College? Where? What will you take? etc...  Its an exciting time in their lives.

And among all this excitement it is my job to make them excited about government :) To pound into their heads permanently that they have a voice and it shouldn't only complain about the government.  It should be used for good.  It should be exercised in a way to make a difference in the world they live in.  They should pay attention to what is going on around them because it affects them and if they don't like it they have the power to change it!

Frychik

1 comment:

  1. If only all teachers taught like you! I love that you are thinking about your class impacting their future selves. Fabulous approach in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete