Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thankful...

All last week I kept thinking I wanted to write about how thankful I have been for some jobs that came my way...
And I was/am so very thankful for them but I haven't had time to write about it until today...

I was very surprised when a family approached me to do their Christmas family shoot.  My focus with photography has been landscape/travel which has sold exactly 2 pictures in the last year and a half...and especially since I'm currently without a source of income I was happy to accept the job...

I was a nervous wreck...I wanted so much to do a good job and I was excited to be working with people...one of the things about what I have been doing with photography is that it is LONELY....so it was a delight to work with such a fun family...


Almost at the same time I was asked to take a friends son's senior pictures...Again I was nervous and excited and very anxious for them to turn out well...


Two paying jobs out of the blue! I was so thankful and the families seemed very happy with their pics...
Another family had asked me about taking pictures but then decided against it...So I figured that may be the end of it...

Then on Tuesday while waiting at the hospital with Josh another friend called.  Her photographer was scheduled to take their pictures that day and had called saying she had strep...Her husband had taken time off from work they were all dolled up could I take their pics that afternoon?

I really wanted to but told them I had to see how Josh did...He did amazing, he wasn't even groggy after surgery so I called them and said I could do it!


Inspired and thankful I decided it was time to take my friend Jill's advice and on Friday I created a new FB page Shelly Fry Photography.  By Sunday night I had 100 likes :) Which means at least 100 people now know and are supportive of my new venture...Of course I haven't given up on my landscape/travel photography, there is a link to my website on the FB page.

I have learned three things with these three unexpected jobs...

1. I really like getting paid for doing something I love

2. I really like working with people.  I love the interaction and the creativity

3. I need to be braver and accept the opportunities that come my way and stop doubting myself.

So now I wonder if these three were just a fluke or will there be more?  I keep telling myself to not get discouraged the phone will not ring every day!

I did just have a former PAA student who is currently in his senior year at WWU contact me and schedule a senior shoot for spring break! So I will just continue to be thankful and hopeful as I pray for guidance in this process.

I really appreciate the support and encouragement of family and friends...While I love taking pictures the "business side" of all this is so far out of my comfort zone!

Thanks for your support!

Frychik



1 comment: