Thursday, March 17, 2011

Book Club - Tanna's house


I wish my life away, anticipating the next book club night...
Seriously, if you love to read, love food, love friendship, love conversation...
you have to start a book club with your friends!
It is such an uplifting experience!

Here is a step by step of what we do...

Step 1-Gather

We gather at someones house...the someone who chose the book for that month...

Last night we were at Tanna's house discussing her book "Finding Nouf"

I appreciated this book because it discussed the culture in Saudi Arabia.  Specifically, how men and women interact...
Can I just say I am so very thankful to have been born here in the USA where it is not 100 degrees and I don't have to cover myself head to toe with black cloth!!!!!!!!!! Yikes!



Step 2 - Eat!!!

When we arrived at Tanna's house we were greeted with wonderful food! It smelled and tasted divine!  The food is almost always chosen around the theme of the book.  This is fun because it challenges us to think outside of our usual box...

We usually get to the food as soon as we can...we spend time talking about life and catching up, eventually we do get to the book.

Step 3- Discussion

It always is fascinating to hear each other's perspectives and insights into the book.  Suzanne always has it figured out halfway through the book and I never do until the end...

The discussion part of our night is always the longest and the best part.


Step 4- Reveal

Then it's time for the "reveal"...
It would be difficult for me to decide what I liked best about the night...
The food, friends or reveal...
I'm always so excited to see what our next book will be...
As you can see it's such a big deal that we have cameras trained to capture the moment...


Our next book...
Two months ago when book club was at my home I had just finished reading "Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton and I offered it to Suzanne saying "you'll love it!" and she did.  Then she told me of another Kate Morton book called "House at Riverton", which I just picked up this week and now a third book "Distant Hours"  It's always fun to find an author you really enjoy!

So I have about 1,000 pages to get read (because I want to finish both books) before next month. 
But that's OK.  :)

I always leave book club feeling so happy and uplifted.

I wasn't even that upset when Mr. Policeman decided he needed to pull me over on the way home....
Something about doing 37 in a 25...
Maybe it was my book club glow that convinced him to let me off with a warning :)

This afternoon I take my 6'5" baby to have his wisdom teeth pulled....
Say a prayer...

Frychik







No comments:

Post a Comment