Thursday, January 13, 2011

FLS - January

Last night was book club night at my house...
We read the book Female Nomad.  The book describes a woman's nomadic journey around the world.  She also makes a point of cooking with women all over the world.  She spends most of her time in Indonesia where she describes cooking noodles with fish paste and squid ink...

I went with a taco bar...

Followed by Mango with Sticky Rice

This for me, was exotic...

I am completely intimidated by rice...
I ruin it when I cook it in a pot...
a rice cooker...
if it comes in a box...
or a bag...

I follow the instructions EXACTLY  and it NEVER turns out!

But at last I have found a friend in sticky rice...
Or was it beginners luck?

Anyway, the night was about more than sticky rice...


I had fun setting the table.
I pulled out old maps I had and laminated them making place mats
I also laminated some ticket stubs I had from the Eiffel Tower, museums in Peru, a ticket from Prague Castle etc and set them on each plate with a napkin
I placed postcards from various places and the center piece was my Eiffel Tower on top of the book "Journeys of a Lifetime"
Oh, and I found the cutest little tulips...

And then the BEST part!
9 beautiful women came over and we laughed and discussed and ate!


We have so much fun discussing our lives and the book.  The book received mixed reviews from the crowd
I personally admired the author for following her heart and for breaking down her personal walls and
trusting the world and learning from others
Some in the group found her selfish and irresponsible to her family...
That's what's so great about a club
We don't all see things the same way

This pic cracks me up because the lovely Melissa and the lovely Suzanne look like a two headed lovely monster in this pic! :)


Our next selection...
My lucky book club even got a glimpse of my house husband at work.  He helped me prep and then he helped me clean up!  What a guy!

1 comment:

  1. Did he take his shirt off? tee hee

    Looks lovely and yummy! Can I borrow your book?

    ReplyDelete