Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tribute and goodbye

Music is not my "thing"

Gasp...

I know, I know....

I just wasn't born with any kind of ear, tone, rhythm or anything remotely having to do with music...

While I enjoy listening to music...My ipod is not my constant companion and I don't have a clue how to download music...

While I did play in the band... music is a mystery to me...it is that thing out of my reach...I remember playing in the band at PAES for some unknown reason I was assigned the bass drum (oh I know, that's where they put the kids who can't play anything else) 
I remember I was terrified because I could not keep the rhythm so the band directer would literally have to point to me each time I was to hit that drum...Before that was piano, flute, clarinet and about 2 min of guitar (it hurt my fingers) All I have to show for it is I can pick out a song on the piano...

When I was a teenager I used to fantasize about being up front singing my heart out...
In fact I remember my preteen years singing at the top of my lungs with Barbara Streisand and Olivia Newton John
and then reality hit...

If you know me you know that I'm not being modest, I'm not trying to coax encouraging words out of you...I am living in the land of reality folks and I'm OK with it.

And yet I have given birth to two boys who both have not only a love of music but a talent for it as well...When I first realized this I was terrified...how would I help them?





Fortunately, we have been blessed with an amazing music teacher, Susan Byers.  She has coached and encouraged both of my boys down the music trail.
She offered free guitar classes which got Ty started on an instrument he was born to play.
She encouraged Josh to try new instruments before deciding on the French Horn.





In my opinion she has the worst job imaginable!  How on earth does she face each day with all of that noise and unruliness?  But she has done it here in our community for the past 10 years...and now she's leaving...

Our loss...Thunderbird Academys gain...

She will be greatly missed!  I am so grateful to her!


On another note...my boy is headed off to his 8th grade trip.  He will be gone for two nights and the most of 3 days... he's the one that doesn't leave me, it is gonna be so weird that he is gone...
It will be good for him and it's part of growing up, but man it will be empty around here! No guitar playing, no rumaging in the kitchen, no begging for a hot breakfast...I'm missing him already...He hasn't even left...


He's going here...there's no cell phones, no way to contact him...

Excuse me I need to go make my baby a hot breakfast...
Frychik

No comments:

Post a Comment