Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Solo - Part II

Ok, so this is my second attempt with the post I began yesterday. So in case you need a refresher, we left off here....
But this is where the weekend really began....My husband took my boys and my dog and headed to the mountains for a weekend of backpacking and belching and farting...I was really torn about whether I should go....;)



As I mentioned yesterday Shannon and I headed to Mother's for breakfast. If you haven't been there go! It is fabulous! I always have the Migas and their chai is yummy too! But make a reservation first! Then you get to waltz in ahead of all those other people who have to wait...




The farmers market was a zoo because of graduation but it was worth it. So much yummy beautiful produce. I loved the color of this kale!




I loved it so much that apparently I downloaded it twice, so please enjoy it again....



These peppers were gorgeous!!!! Did you know that yellow, orange and red peppers all start out green and they take much longer to ripen than the green bell peppers...I learned that when I tried to grow some in my garden...



Ok, here is something new. It turned out that Shannon had plans for the afternoon, so I dropped her off and decided to wander into the Gorge on my own with my camera. My target was Trout Lake. I had never been there and I had heard there were amazing views of Mt. Adams so I decided to venture out. Solo...


There were some fun things to see along the way. I discovered this bridge with these rafts going over a mini waterfall. It was fun to watch the rafts disappear for an instant before popping to the surface. I didn't know there was such intense rafting so close to home. I will definitely follow up on this at a later date...

I watched about 5 rafts go over and I didn't see a single person fall in. I was impressed and a little disappointed...


About 10 miles before arriving in Trout Lake as I was driving on a long desolate road in the middle of the Mt. Adams wilderness, I notice an ominous warning light blinking on my car....I had no cell service and wondered what on earth I would do if I was stranded...I immediately took stock of my food supplies....they were bleak.
I was afraid to turn the car off so I pulled to the side and fished out the manual from the glove box. As ususal it was no help...

Thankfully I found a lovely old fashioned gas station in Trout Lake complete with a mechanic! A very nice mechanic who checked my oil and assured me that I would make it home safe and sound. Phewwww. Then I asked him where the lake was...


He ( Andy was his name) informed me that Trout Lake was really more of a marshy area. He told me if I drove down this road for another mile, turned right on a dirt road, go down that for a mile and then I would see the marsh with the view of the Mt. That is the picture above.


It was gorgeous but it was really weird to be in such a remote area and realize nobody (except Andy) had any idea where I was. It was exciting, but it unnerved me to.


There was a trail that followed the edge of the marsh. I walked for about a mile and tried to relax and enjoy the solitude...but I kept wondering if there were bears, or snakes, or random strangers...Jesh!!!!!!!!


So after exploring I headed back down into the Gorge to Cascade Locks. This picture is taken from "Goose Poop Park" This is my name for this lovely park in the middle of the Columbia River.


I lived in Cascade Locks for a time and I remember flying my skull and crossbones (really!) kite here on the tip of Goose Poop Park...I almost took a picture of the poop so you would understand why I call it this...but then I decided that wasn't necessary...



It really is a beautiful place....

These stairs leading down into the old locks remind me of the stairs in Paris. Once time when I was there the Sein was so flooded that there were stairs leading right down into the river..(I love sneaking in random references to my travels abroad) :)


This cracked me up. Apparently even fishermen have realized that fishing is boring and have resorted to mounting their poles complete with bells attached so they can wander off to more exciting things until there little bell goes "tinkle tinkle" and then they all rush pack in a furry just to be disappointed again....I laughed at them.


So I'm out of time. I'm a working girl you know, I have my first faculty meeting today so I must go. I'll finish up tomorrow.


PS for those of you who read this...Thanks :)





2 comments:

  1. No, Shelly, Thank you for blogging! Love following your blog!

    ReplyDelete