Monday, August 9, 2010

Fairs, Volcanos and dirty socks....

So as anyone who remotely knows me knows, I entered 4 pictures into the Clark Co. Fair. I had dropped them off on Wed. There is a whole process, they have to be mounted just so, they have to be a certain size, they judge on print quality....

I was a bit nervous. I really, really wanted a ribbon. I wanted some validation....


I knew they had been judged on Thur but the fair didn't open until Friday...So I grabbed Ty and his friend and we headed to the fair. I looked like a cool parent taking my son and his friend to the fair but my motives were purely selfish...

I was nervous, excited. I think I had myself convinced that I didn't care if my pictures had a ribbon it would just be exciting to see them hanging there...Like they were on display in some redneck art gallery...



Just to be clear and upfront, EVERY picture that entered had a ribbon... But I was thrilled that Peru Purses (yes, you have to name your photos) had a blue ribbon! I actually thought the picture of the Sacred Valley had the best chance for blue, but I was thrilled that my other three pics ( I forgot to take a pic of my spider web picture with its red ribbon) all earned red ribbons

Thank you to my friends that have pointed out that I can now call myself and "award winning photographer" :)


The above pic is supposed to be of the Daisey pic. If I don't download the pictures right the first time I still can't figure out how to deleat or move them. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr


Besides wanting to see my pictures at the fair this is the other reason to go to the Clark Co Fair...

Heaven help me these are Divine!!! I honestly don't think I have a limit. BerryKabobs, I get them once a year at the fair. Except yesterday we went down to The Bite in Portland and they had them there too! Happy day! And I'm going back to the fair tonight so my wonderfully supportive husband can look at my pictures which are currently on display at the fair ;) so I guess I'll have to have another one! (they are mostly fruit you know!)




On Sabbath afternoon we went up to the slopes of Mt. St. Helens and spent the afternoon exploring its many geological wonders. The power and destruction of a volcano is humbling and intimidating. I have often thought what they heck would we do if she decided to wake up again while we are up here....

The Mt. stayed wrapped in a blanket of clouds while were were there. We could only see the very base as we climbed around exploring


And then if you turn around there is another lovely volcano Mt. Adams



This is a picture looking out from the mouth of Ape Caves....I'm not a fan of caves, call me crazy but I prefer fresh air, light, and walking upright...But everyone else wanted to go. I have heard about Ape Caves my entire life. I always wondered why there were apes living on Mt. St. Helens...

My friend educated me that it is actually named after a boyscout troupe which discovered the caves...how boring...I thought there were apes


It is pitch black in this cave. I guess most caves are but its a whole new level of darkness! My camera wouldn't even take a picture unless there was some form of light. Notice Austen has her flashlight on. You can actually feel the darkness...and the mice running across your feet...ewww



Further down the road is a place where you can climb through long lava tubes. They were formed when the trees were encased in lava and then slowly decomposed leaving these fun tubes for boys and anyone else to climb through


And now for the dirty socks. My oldest Joshua came home from camp on Sunday. I always miss him so much when he's gone. I'm always so relieved when he gets home in one piece. He never fails to give me the best hug and then a huge pile of laundry.

I hate laundry with a passion! I know the machine does most of the work but it is still a never ending, exhausting job!

My least favorite part is the socks. On any given week they are always turned inside out and are filthy. But the socks Josh brought home from camp were at an all time high on the disgusting meter. Having to stick my hand in each sweat encrusted, dirt packed, wreaking sock was a true test of the strength of motherhood! Yuck!

But if that's the price to have him home I'll gladly pay it :)











No comments:

Post a Comment